Search allows you to find items you are looking for quickly, without having to browse through a large number of items. There are two search features in GunBroker.com:
- Quick Search, accessed by clicking Search at the top of any page
- Advanced Search, accessed by clicking Advanced next to the Search button at the top of the page. Advanced Search gives you more options for limiting your search, allows you to select how to search, and allows you to search completed listings as well as current listings.
- Quick Search searches active item listings (listings still open for bidding or purchase).
- You can select a category in the drop-down menu next to the Search button.
- If you are searching for a specific item number, you can enter it in the search box.
Searching items using the Advanced Search form gives you more options for limiting your search, allows you to select how to search, and allows you to search completed listings as well as current listings.
- Narrow your search to a specific category. Searching Glock 23 across all categories delivers less accurate results vs searching the semi auto pistol category.
- include manufacturer or model where appropriate. Searching P9 is going to return less relevant results vs searching Kahr P9.
- If you are searching for an exact phrase, put quotes around the phrase you are looking for. "Colt SAA" is going to return different results vs searching Colt SAA
Understanding search rules:
|All the words you enter||Searches all the words you entered, regardless of the order entered.||For example, green chevrolet would match an item listed as 1980 chevrolet impala, green exterior, red interior.|
|Exact words, exact order||Searches the exact words you entered in the exact order entered. You must use quotation marks around the words.||"Marlin Model 39" would match only listings with these words, in this order.|
|Special characters||Search ignores . , =, ~, @|
|Not case sensitive||Search ignores capital letters.||Pistol is the same as pistol.|
|Plurals||Search will automatically search plurals||Searching gun would be bring back guns also|
|Including and excluding terms||Use the plus '+' sign before a term to include it in your search. Use the minus '-' sign before your term to exclude it. If you do not enter a plus or minus before a term, the term is included by default.||
For example, +cars -ford is the same as cars -ford, and would search for all cars in the database except for ford cars. You can use the plus and minus signs before quoted terms as well, for example cars -"ford escort".
Search supports the AND, OR, and NOT operators.
The operator MUST be capitalized
jack AND jill - Will return items which contain both jack and jill
ahab NOT moby - Will return items which contain ahab but not moby
tom OR jerry - Will return items that contain tom or jerry, or both
|Partial matches||You can do a partial match search for items by adding an asterisk * to your search terms.||For instance, using 'Mar*' will return Mar, Marlin, Mark, Marked, Marshall, etc.|
|Searching categories without search word(s)||You do not have to enter search words on a search. You can search categories by selecting a category from the drop-down menu to return all items in the category.||For example, to look for Hunting Gear or Fishing Tackle, select the category and click Search.|
|Searching completed items||Quick search only searches active item listings (auctions that are still open for bidding).||To search closed auctions, you must use Advanced Search and select the Completed Items tab.|
|Searching by listing characteristic||You can use the Narrow Your Search box to select items meeting certain characteristics||For example, you can search manufacturer, model, gauge, caliber, etc.|
|Searching by timeframe||Search defaults to searching Current Items; however, you can click the dropdown menu in the Narrow Your Search box to select other options.||For example, you can search new items listed within the last 24 or 48 hours, or since your last visit, or items ending before midnight tonight.|
Search results - all items, items for auction, BuyNow! items:
You can select one of these tabs to display which search results you want to see:
- All Items tab: lists all items which meet your search criteria
- Auctions tab: lists items you can bid on in an auction
- Buy Now tab: lists items you can immediately buy using BuyNow! and Fixed Price listings
Expanding your search:
If search is not finding what you are looking for, try broadening your search, or try alternate search terms. You may need to run more than one search to find what you are looking for.