Skip to main content
Help Center Community Shop

On Army Base, A Plea To Give Each Death Its Due

Comments

4 comments

  • v35
    I believe it's demoralizing to fighting men to commemmorate current casualties in Army camps. Ft Lewis was a Repl.Depot we all shipped out from to FECOM. There were no permanent parties except for a small cadre awaiting separation or reassignment in a year or two.
    Honest reporting of losses has always been a sensitive issue and
    counterproductive to a war effort.
    0
  • Brian98579
    Welcome Guest | register | log in | e-mail news | help
    Olympia, Washington Wednesday, July 25, 2007

    : ? Breaking News
    Published July 25, 2007

    Comments Print email Subscribe Digg it del.icio.us
    Individual memorials will continue at Fort Lewis

    Christian Hill
    The Olympian

    Fort Lewis' commanding general said Wednesday the Army post will not conduct monthly memorial services for its fallen soldiers, calling the individual ceremonies "dignified, personalized and fitting tributes" that will continue with some changes.

    The announcement by Lt. Gen. Charles H. Jacoby Jr. would appear to conclude an emotional and controversial debate about how best to honor the sacrifice of local soldiers who died in service of their country in a time of war that meets both the needs of Fort Lewis, families of the fallen soldiers and the larger community.

    Major units will continue to determine the frequency, plan and conduct the memorial services for its soldiers with support from post leaders. Jacoby has directed, however, that the memorial services occur on Wednesdays.

    The fixed schedule will reduce the pressure of the unit's rear detachments and family readiness groups to plan and conduct the memorials, Jacoby explained, while increasing the level of participation from the community. Previously, the memorials were conducted throughout the work week, usually Tuesdays.

    Jacoby, in his 45th day as Fort Lewis' commanding general, said he wanted to take the time to attend the memorial services and talk with military families and community members before making his decision.

    "I wanted to be deliberate in my decision and I wanted to hear back from the community," he said. "It's an important issue. We had the time to do it right and I believe we've got the right answer."

    In May, when the Army post suffered its worst monthly loss since the Iraq war began, the interim commanding general directed that the post hold a single memorial service for all soldiers killed during the month.

    "As much as we would like to think otherwise, I am afraid that with the number of soldiers we now have in harm's way, our losses will preclude us from continuing to do individual memorial ceremonies," Brig. Gen. William Troy wrote in an e-mail to staff that subsequently went public. The policy change was scheduled to take effect in June.

    The change was unpopular for many military family and veterans groups and was put on hold.

    Fort Lewis has approximately 10,000 soldiers deployed to Iraq, the large majority assigned to two Stryker combat brigades. It has lost 140 of its service members there since the U.S.-led invasion began in March 2003.



    c2007 The Olympian
    0
  • kimberkid
    Casualties in this war are lower than in any war ever before ... if we've never done it this way before, we shouldn't start now.

    A funeral isn't for the dead ... its for the living, show the family the respect they deserve by honoring each one.

    IMHO
    0
  • victorlvlb
    Having a mass service is like having a mass grave site for the bodies, kind of like what Hitler had done.
    0

Please sign in to leave a comment.

Recent Activity